Tuesday, November 1, 2011

MORE!

SPOILER ALERT:  Do not read unless you have finished Into the Wilderness.

I am finished.  And I don't know where to begin.  This may sting a little...but I think you can handle it.  

This was a good book.  A good, solid book.  What bugs me is that it had the potential to be a phenomenal book...but too many details were left out...so it's just a good book.  

Example:  Elizabeth is near death and Nathaniel climbs into bed, naked, with her...so she will smell him and truly know he's near.  He's hoping this will jar her out of her near-coma.  Soooo tremendous that he did that; truly raw and emotional.  If you've ever witnessed a loved one in a coma, you know you will do absolutely anything to get them to wake up.  So this hit home.  But I wanted more!

Why only a page?!  This could have gone on for a chapter.  He could have talked to her.  No - he could have murmured to her.  He could have told her his fears while she was sleeping.  He could have told her that he thought he'd be alone the rest of his life and that her coming to Paradise was a miracle...and that he couldn't lose her now.  We could have seen Too Many Doves and Falling Trees all worrit about him for days on end.  He could have gotten up only to use the privy and sported red, swollen eyes...which would have made the ladies even more worrit...and would have made us swoon.  But no.  Instead, we got one page of him losing water from his eyes...being calmed by her smells and falling asleep.  That's it.  Hell-O??? It's big PICTURE time! McFly?!?

I realize this is my opinion and you may have your own - which rocks.  Maybe you only wanted a few sentences about Nathaniel's suffering and are content with the way it was written.  I, however, am not.  I wanted MORE and I got LESS.   Much less.  

This is NOT an insult to Sarah Donati's writing.  If anything, it's a compliment.  I liked her style...I just wanted more.  

And OK - maybe less - in spots.  I could have dealt with less bush...(forest, I mean. ;)...less waxing on about Richard Todd...less treks up the mountain and less drinking in the pub/general store/gaol.  Less, that is, if we would have gotten more Nathaniel and Elizabeth...more Julian and the Judge...more Curiosity and more Ronnie Mac-whatever his Scottish name was. I loved all of them and wanted more.   Well, maybe not the judge.  He's a douche.  But I could have dealt with more details about his life.  If this were Diana Gabaldon, there would already be a prequel about the judge in England...AND one about his parents.  And their gay butler.  Lorddddd there'd be a ton about their gay butler.  But I digress...

OK so last night I was wondering whether to go on to Book 2 because Book 1 was slow moving at times and wasn't grabbing me tightly enough.  So I asked Cari about Scotland.  When we left off in Book 1, they realized Hawkeye is an Earl and is rich beyond belief.  This news, when told to any other red-blooded American, would elicit all kinds of whoops and hollers and general merriment.  Not Nathanial.  Ohhhhh nooooo.  Boyfriend's got to sulk and get pissy and stomp his feet and say "I'm not going to Scotland! Waaaaah!"  And that, right there, made me put up my hand and say "When".  I was like "Are you KIDDING ME?!?'  But Cari set me straight and told me that's what the "Distant Shore" is in Book 2.  (Duh...party of Carol?)  So now I'm intrigued about a possible trip to Scotland and downloaded Book 2 last night. 

Crossing my fingers, y'all.  I'm told Book 2 is slowwww...and Book 3 has barely any McLovin'...but Book 4 has crazy amounts of McLovin'...so I may have to persevere. 

I am definitely into the characters and the world of the Bonners now...so hopefully I'm in for the long haul. 

More to come...

34 comments:

  1. So Book 2 it is then! Hope it's not *too* slow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol,
    I know what you mean by "MORE". There are times when I wished for MORE too. I kept thinking about how DG said an editor or two wanted to cut this and that out of her own books. But she wouldn't let them. I wonder if SD fell victim to a slasher?

    But I loved this book. I really loved this book. I'm excited that you are reading book 2!! Hildy is an excellent mentor.......if you need any hand holding, she's THERE! There's lots of good exciting times ahead. Don't worry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be honest I thought that the first book was the best and whilst I enjoyed the others they didn't quite grip me in the same way!

    The next book moves the plot on a lot and you meet some interesting new characters but there are a few parts which seem really contrived and a bit out there. I can't help but think sometimes that Sara Donati has subconciously borrowed some of her storylines from Diana Gabaldon as I constantly feel a sense of familiarity whilst reading her books. It isn't the time period or the locations but more the characterisation and the plotlines.

    It'll be interesting to find out what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see what you mean Carol. I didn't feel that way about that particular scene with N and E but now that you mention it, I would have loved for it to be longer. I enjoyed DOADS. I've heard different reactions. I thought it started off slow and was a bit worried but then it picked up speed and I ended up really liking it. Another friend thought the opposite. She loved the first half and then got bored. So who knows? Anyhow, I disagree with the rest of the series not being quite as good. My favourite books were 4 and 6. I LOVED them. But, my least favourite was 5.
    Jennifer J, it has been a joy (unflagging?) being your mentor. I miss your hilarious emails!! I'm so happy that Cari has two more books to read! LOL to SD falling victim to a slasher!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. To get the FULL effect of these books you really need to read them all
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shannon has spoken and I do as she says. Word. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG - you mean I have to read them ALL??? I thought I was just in for book 2!! (just kidding)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely hear what you're saying about wanting "more". I have felt that a few times while reading these books. And, like you said, it's more of a compliment to SD's writing than an insult. I wonder if she was forced to make some cuts.

    lol I had a "duh" moment with book 2 as well. I opened it up for the first time and there was a map of Scotland right in the front, and it pissed me off that this plot point was spoiled right off the bat. Then I noticed the name of the book (Dawn on a DISTANT SHORE) and did a "face palm". ;-)

    I hope that you like it! It's a little bit different from ITW (obviously there is some travelling involved...), but I really liked it. I didn't even find the beginning to be slow - I really liked the whole thing. But yes, the McLovin scenes do decrease a bit in book 2 and then more of a decrease in book 3, but book 4 will be your reward. :-D

    I'll pick up book 5 at the library tomorrow. I can't wait to see what will happen next!

    -Cari

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cari,
    OMWord!! I did the same thing with the stupid MAP! But really, you are right........the title kinda gives the plot away. A bit. Yeah.

    I also hated when I was buying the ebooks they felt the need to put a FUll bloody decription right under the title........NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I even put my hand on the computer screen to hide the spoilers. Why do they want to ruin it for me? Why? Why do they hate me?

    As for the lovin'..........I can think of a few VERRA good scenes in book 2. I actually think of them often. Hildy will have more to add on this topic later on.......

    I think my order of favourites would be: 6,4,1,3,2,5. or possibly: 1,6,4,3,2,5. or perhaps: 4,6,1,3,2,5. Or maybe: 1,4,6,3,2,5. but there's always: 6,1,4,3,2,5. Something like that. Just read them. Trust me.

    As for book 2, I thought it started slow. But later, I remember reading pages and pages with my hand clasped over my mouth. Uh, there is some gooooooood stuff comin' up. Uhhhhhhh.

    Re:Slasher---When will editors realize we want More? (except if it's Roger's journey, then feel free to hack away at will)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooooh, Jen J, I should ignore you just for that Roger Mac comment!! :-P


    "As for the lovin'..........I can think of a few VERRA good scenes in book 2. I actually think of them often." Oh yes, my #1 McLovin moment (so far...) is in book 2! :-D

    "I think my order of favourites would be: 6,4,1,3,2,5. or possibly: 1,6,4,3,2,5. or perhaps: 4,6,1,3,2,5. Or maybe: 1,4,6,3,2,5. but there's always: 6,1,4,3,2,5. Something like that." I'm not sure if you meant to be funny there, but you cracked me up with all of your number sequences! lol


    -Cari

    ReplyDelete
  11. What the heck just happened??? Jennifer J, did you just dis Roger?? I was happily reading your lotto numbers, or something like that, and WHAM! Outta no where! I obviously need a better screening process for the people I agree to mentor. This is not okay. I have since deleted all your emails!

    If I were still talking to you, I'd say that I agree with your choice of favourites and your thoughts about the sexy times in Book 2.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cari,
    I thought of you the whole time I was typing about dear Roger! I KNEW you would get me for it.

    Hildy,
    Lotto numbers!! LOL!!

    Oh, come on ladies, I love Rog. I was just a bit bored with his "journey". His verra long, verra, verra, verra, verra long journey. Why was it so long? Long, long, long, long. And why did he kiss his great, great, great, great, great grandmother on this journey? And then he suffers ............uh. I canna even go there. (the reason he lost his voice)

    No, really. I love Roger. I love Bree. I hate Jenny and Leghair. Can we still be friends? Otherwise I'll tell everyone about how you unflag during chat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WHA??? :)

    Carol, can we have a ITW chat? There is much to discuss that you left out when you were talking about the bush. A few ideas:

    -Hannah in the school house
    -Hawkeye (Have we talked about him at all?)
    -Chingachinga
    -Julian pulling a fast one
    -Nat taking E up against the church wall
    -Richard Todd :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with Shannon. Thought the books & writing improved over the series. Go for it Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have downloaded Book 2 (did I mention that? I'm so crazy this week I don't know what I'm doing. Just had Halloween...today's Ian's (7th) birthday...his party is Friday and we leave for Disney on Sunday. Ahhhhh! Calgon, take me away!)

    I definitely want to chat - I just don't know when I can! Between packing...making rice krispy treats for school...making goody bags for the party...and more packing...I'm pulling my hair out!

    OK could I bitch any more about my busy week?

    PS - I saw a book about Chigachokiechoo the other day - and it was for kids. I should buy it for my kids and force them to read it and tell me what happens. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You should totally force them to read it!! I wonder if DG did this with her kids when she was researching for her books? :)

    Forget about rice krispie treats and my bad back and let's chat!!!

    Have fun in Disney!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Carol, my daughter Francesca turns 7 on Nov 16; close in age to your Ian. :) And my oldest Damien has a birthday on Nov 10...turns 12. Parties ahead...(and another kid has a bday in January, turns 10)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Turns out I have a very slow morning today. I'm ok to chat anytime in the next hour-ish.

    That is if ANYONE is still talking to me. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm still talking to you!! I'll chat.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ok this is so weird! I can post on this blog from my phone but not my computer at home. I'm fine on the other purgatory sites but not this one and it's been driving me crazy!! Guess I'll just have to do it from my phone on this one.

    I'm halfway through Lake in the Clouds and living it so far!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just finshed ITW and ordered the 2nd book but am a little worried after reading everyone's comments. I found the 1st one a little slow to get me and actually read 3 other books while reading this one. Hopefully the 2nd one isn't too bad. I do love a little Scotland in my books though.
    Hildy,
    Those are great ideas for a chat, I could discuss them all! LOL @ Chingachinga!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just finished the third one and loved it!!! By far my favorite so far. I really fell in love with Hannah in this book and can't wait for the next obe. I say definitely keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I loved all of the books except 5. However, Cari LOVED 5 so what do I know? :) It did have some really great moments. Books 4 and 6 were my favourites so keep reading Menatra and Brandy!!! I'm always up for a chat about them.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Brandy,
    Omigosh!!! If you loved #3, you are going to flip over #4..................ughhhhhhhhhhh, it's soooooooo good!!

    Hildy,
    REMEMBER book 4??????? How much do I love book 4?? I canna stand it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh I remember book 4 alright!! You know how I love me some book 4. And I know how you love you some book 4. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hildy,
    ROTFL!!
    Seriously, you need to stop me from picking up book 4 AGAIN. Oooooooooooooooo, the temptation.

    ReplyDelete
  27. OMG you guys are killing me! I may have to read #4 ASAP when I finish Scottish Prisoner.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh Brandy! You totally have to read it. I hope we're not building it up too much. Maybe we should start down-playing it. ;)

    Is it just me, or does anyone else giggle every time they see that picture of Downtown Nathaniel?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Menatra? Brandy? Any more reading?

    I think I'm an ITW stalker.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hildy
    I I am 3/4 of the way through #2 and I am really into it. I actually like all (well ok most) of the characters in the books. and what about Granny Stoker? She is HILARIOUS! Although I think I would be throwing her overboard but everyone seems to like her! ha!
    I also like Mac Stoker aka Stephen Bonnet, I must have a thing for dirty badass pirates!
    I am waiting for Carol's blog to get going to see what she thinks of it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh yay! I liked book 2 but I really loved the next two! I can't wait to chat about them.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I thought the Wilderness series was a good read after rereading Outlander series a couple of times. I'm so glad that Diana Gabaldon turned me on to Wilderness. Did she and Donati meet on CompuServe I wonder.

    JerryT

    ReplyDelete